Inverted Triangle Shaped Body Type
- Shoulders are noticeably wider than the hip-line
- Shoulders may be straight, squared, and strong-looking
- Bust can range from small to big
- Little to no waist definition
- Hips look straight and flat compared to broad shoulders
- Bottom is rather flat
- Great legs often come with this body shape
- Body shape projects a sporty and athletic physique
Styling the Inverted Triangle Shape
The inverted triangle body shape is heavier on the top due to the wide shoulder line.
The goal for dressing this shape is to balance the broader shoulders, chest and back with the narrower lower body to create a balanced silhouette.
This is achieved by choosing clothes that add curves to the hips and bottom while creating a more defined waist and de-emphasising the upper body.
Soften the shoulder line
Reduce the wide appearance of your shoulders by playing them down and balancing them out with the narrower hips.
- Soften the broad shoulder line with soft, draping, and weighty fabrics
- Avoid wide necklines that broaden the shoulders and other strong shoulder details (eg shoulder pads)
- Steer clear of patterns on your tops and scarves around your neck and shoulders
- Keep your upper body clean and uncluttered
Create curves around your hips
Add volume and interest to your hips and bottom to make them look curvier and your shoulders smaller.
- Create the illusion of a waist with waist details
- Select clothes that add volume to the lower body to widen the hips
- Draw attention to your legs by wearing lighter, brighter colours or adding details
- Keep away from skinny and tight trousers as well as narrowing hemlines that visually reduce the lower body